So, you have finally decided to sell your house and your first question is how I can maximise the value of my house. House prices are often difficult to determine. But what can you do to increase that price and make sure you get the most for your investment? Follow these tips and you will be surprised with the result.
Simple and Low-Cost tips:
- Clean – Making sure your property is clean will have an immediate return on the value of your property. Cleaning includes both the inside and outside of your house. Remove garbage, dirt and smell as these are not attractive features. Who doesn’t want to buy a house that is clean?
- Paint – Make your house pop by changing its boring color to brighter one. You will be amazed by the difference of fresh paint can make. There are several websites that can help you with your color scheme and hues in trend this year.
- The Curb Appeal – As what we have featured on our newsletter, a Curb Appeal is described as the visual attractiveness of a house as seen from the street. Set the tone!, this applies to the exterior of the home as well as the landscaping, outdoor fixtures, sidewalks, and driveway. A very easy way is to strategically placed plants, a new mailbox, outdoor light or shutters that will make your property more inviting. If you got the budget adding a new siding, new walkways or driveways, a deck will potentially add a high return on investment.
- Change Fixtures – Change out old doorknobs, light switches, cabinet handles, shower head, faucets and even light fixtures. From standard bulbs to LED lights which is much more efficient and energy saving. This is a very simple method to breathe new life into a space.
- Stage the Property – This is a growing trend in real estate today. De-cluttering a space and giving each room a function can give so much value. Proper placement of furniture, the size of furniture and its amount is crucial. Rearranging furniture and fixtures will enhance the look of a room or make it look larger. If you got higher budget seek for an interior designer to help you depending on the extent of renovation done and the materials chosen.
- Select a Great Real Estate Agent – Finding a perfect agent is critical to your chances of selling quickly and for the best price possible. Do some research and ask around. Take a good look of at sales history. Discover what’s included in their marketing strategy. An astute agent will use a mix of traditional and digital marketing methods to attract as many buyers as possible. A good real estate agent will know what buyers in your area are looking for so be open for suggestions and style your home to attract more prospective buyers. Compare agent commission rates. Never select an agent based solely on commission, agents fees are highly dependent on their skill set choosing an agent that charge you a lower fee might eventually costing you thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands. Check out reviews to boost your confidence and get a better understanding on your agents’ selling experience, negotiation skills, personality, and other attributes.
While you want to improve your property and increase the value, you also have to be cautious so that you do not over-improve. You don’t want to spend an amount of money on a renovation where you will not see a return of investment. They say less is more 🙂